Harmonie in de Linie brings contemporary music, dance and art to the neighbourhood Linie in Breda. In 2019, we were invited by Witte Rook to participate in the art route. We realised a few problematic aspects of Harmonie in de Linie.
1. Art in public space mainly reach artlovers, not the residents
2. Art talks are only in Dutch or English, which excludes people who speak different languages
3. Visitors only come to consume the ‘different’ of the location and don’t give something in return
In response to this we designed three routes which gave different perspectives on the art route. In this way we encouraged visitors to behave and experience differently.
1. A guided route in four languages (Somali, Greek, Arabic, Dutch)
2. A route where the participants leave a ‘clean trace’ while navigating the route
3. A paper route to get lost and see the artworks by ‘accident’
Καλώς ήρθατε στη διαδρομή τέχνης
Ku soo dhowow jidka farshaxanka
مرحبا بكم في الطريق الفني
Welkom bij de kunstroute
As a last intervention we asked a musician from Muziekvereniging Vondel to guide the visitors to the location of Witte Rook, a few hunderd metres beyond, where we collective closed the day. It was the first time she played the clarinet walking. People followed her like the Pied Piper of Hamelin.
Read more about the process of Harmonie in de Linie here (Dutch).